Today definitely had its frustrations – at the top of the list was probably my toddler grabbing a glass off of the dining room table and less than 2 seconds later throwing it over the gate onto the hard kitchen floor, where it, of course, shattered. Overall, though, I was struck today by how blessed I really am. God has been good to me, in both the small things and the big ones. In no particular order, here are just a few of the blessings for which I’ve been thanking Him this weekend!
- Wonderful weather and the chance to take walks and go to the park! My daughter loves the blue slide. She talks about it a lot – as in, at least once a day, generally more, regardless of whether we’ve been to the park lately or not.
- Good friends. Today I locked myself (and Miranda) out of the house – oops. Not a good move – particularly when you consider that it was 5 minutes before Miranda’s naptime, I had no kid supplies (diapers, toys, snacks, etc) with us, and Matt was teaching a workshop at the Columbia Art League this afternoon, so he couldn’t exactly just come home and let us in. Thankfully, when I called my friend Alex, who has a spare key to our house, she was totally willing to drop everything she was doing and come over right away to open the door for us. So thankful. And then we got the added bonus of seeing her today, at least for a few minutes 🙂
- God is absolutely coming through for us in terms of adoption support and funding. Sometimes I wonder if I have extraordinarily weak faith that God feels like He has to care for me the way He does – I recognize that this is not really good theology, but He so often comes through for me in unexpected ways, just when I am wondering whether or not things are going to work out, and while He by no means is obligated to give me what I want, I am encouraged that as we walk down this path that we believe He is leading us on, He is providing the means for us to do so. We still have a long way to go, and I’m certain I’ll have periods of doubt and struggle, but today, I am encouraged.
- On a related note, we are so blessed to have the support of our friends, family, and church community as we pursue this journey to adopt. I know not everyone has that, and we don’t take it lightly. Our friends and family are excited with us and for us, and we’re part of a church community that takes seriously God’s command to His people to love widows and orphans and wants to be part of doing that.
- I so enjoy my little family. I’m really excited to add to it, but we’re having such a great time now just the three of us, too.
(I enjoy Matt, too, but he’s had a busy weekend between grad critiques on Friday afternoon, teaching the workshop this afternoon, and preparing to teach a marriage class tomorrow evening at church, so you’re left with a photo of just Miranda and me at the park.)
And now I’m off to enjoy a bit of time with my husband – who is now actually at home! – before bedtime, which is already sneaking up on us more quickly than we’d like, particularly on the night before Daylight Savings Time. Here at our house we’re still basically pretending that’s not really happening tonight, though I’m sure we’ll pay for that tomorrow!